Dog Toys Tips
Dog toys tips: Toys are an important part of your Miniature Schnauzer's day to day life. They help release your Schnauzer's pent-up energy, keep him entertained, provide him mental stimulation, and much more. And the good news is there is no short supply of great pet toys on the market.
So how should you go about choosing a great toy for your Miniature Schnauzer? The following Dog Toys Tips Buying Guide will help you decide.
Buying Tips for that Perfect Dog Toy
First, determine your Miniature Schnauzer’s activity level, temperament, and personality. Is your Miniature Schnauzer more aggressive or gentle? Some Schnauzers are very easy on their toys while others rip them apart. Just knowing this information will go a long way in helping you make the best choice for your Miniature Schnauzer.
Buying the Perfect Dog Toy:
- Make sure the toy is not too small.
dog toys tip: The rule of thumb in determining the appropriate toy size is if it can fit down the tube opening of a roll of toilet paper - it’s too small.
Small toys can become lodged in your Miniature Schnauzer’s throat or can even be swallowed whole (causing choking or intestinal problems for your Miniature Schnauzer requiring surgery).
- Make sure there are no parts that can detach easily. If so, go ahead and remove them now so your Miniature Schnauzer does not ingest them (this includes things like ribbons, strings, adornments, plastic eyes, etc…)
- Don’t buy toys that have any sharp or protruding parts to them. They just are not safe.
- With any and all chewable toys or treats extra care and supervision is necessary. Your Miniature Schnauzer could try and swallow too much at one time, break a tooth, and so on. (see Dog Chews and Dog Bones Warning)
- Avoid buying toys for your Miniature Schnauzer that are made for children. Many contain unsafe fillings or parts that could be dangerous to your dog.
- Also, Miniature Schnauzers love soft plush toys with squeakers. Just make sure your Miniature Schnauzer doesn’t try to de-stuff one. And the same goes with any pet toys containing batteries.
dog toys tip: Durable hard rubber toys are best if you have an aggressive Miniature Schnauzer chewer.
Summary of Dog Toys Buying Tips
Dog toys should be both fun and safe.
Squeaker Mats are fun to play with and make great pillows to nap on once your dog tires out!
Always supervise & monitor your Miniature Schnauzer during playtime. Inspect your Miniature Schnauzer's toys on a regular basis. Once a toy begins to fray or break down in any way just throw it away. It’s not worth keeping. You would only be asking for trouble and taking a big risk with your Miniature Schnauzer's safety which could end up with an expensive trip to the Vet.
dog toys tip: Keep a variety of different types of toys so your Miniature Schnauzer doesn’t become bored. Choose from interactive toys like this Flying Squirrel, chew toys like the Kongs), plush toys like Booda Eco-Friendly Small Hippo, and puzzle toys like the Hide-A-Squirrel Dog Puzzle.
Dog Chews and Dog Bones Warning
Dogs and puppies alike love to chew on things and that's why dog chews and bones are so popular. Even veterinarians recommend long-lasting dog chews for reducing plaque, bad breath, and to relieve boredom in dogs. However are they safe for your dog?
The truth of the matter is no dog bone or dog chew toy is completely safe. Several reported incidents (some even fatal) of gastrointestinal upset, blockage, tooth fractures, and choking have occurred in dogs using these type of products.
Dog Chew Health Risks
- Intestinal Blockage
- Tooth Fractures
- Ingredients - Don't assume the ingredients are safe. Some ingredients listed on certain dog chews and bones have been known to cause stomach upset and diarrhea. Read the label and be on the look out for gluten, chemicals, and other known ingredients that are harmful to dogs.
As a responsible dog owner, all you can do is be aware of the dangers, choose products you feel are best for your own dogs, and supervise!
Toys Miniature Schnauzers Give 4 Paws Up
DOGGY FUN TIMES:
Go from Dog Toys Tips to About the Miniature Schnauzer on Schnauzers Rule
Go from Dog Toys Tips to Homemade Dog Toys
★ Interactive Dog
★ Indoor Dog Exercise