Most Schnauzers never seem to have enough dog toys. But buying them from your local pet store can get expensive, especially if you have a dog that's a bit "ruff" on his play things. So instead of running off to the store to replace a worn out squeaky or tug, why not try and make one instead?
These easy-to-make homemade toys are so simple to make, the kids can help make them too. In fact, they make great craft projects for kids to do on those rainy days when they can't go outside and play.
1. Cut the toe end off the tube sock.
2. Remove all the excess air from the empty water bottle. (ie squash it)
3. Insert the flattened plastic bottle into the sock.
4. Tie knots to close at each end.
AND Viola! You just made a super fun dog toy your Schnauzer will love - for FREE!
1. Cut or rip fabric into three strips: 6 inches wide and 20 inches long.
2. Tightly twist each individual strip and secure it on either end with a rubber band.
3. Tightly braid the pieces together
4. Next tie knots on either end. Make sure the knots are very tight so it doesn't come undone.
5. Now remove the rubber bands and you’re done.
dog craft tip: You can create a fringe look to the ends by simply cutting the end pieces of fabric into strips once the rubber bands are removed.
Your Miniature Schnauzer's gonna love playing tug with this dog toy!
At the end of the summer, many of us toss out warn out items like old hoses, but... Before you throw that old garden hose away... cut about 6 inches of it and thread an old t-shirt through it (about 10 inches wide). Or instead of an old ou can use a rope, or any other material you like.
Next, tie knots at the hose openings and at the ends of the fabric.
And that's it! Another free toy for your Schnauzer to enjoy.
Schnauzers love their squeaky toys and you can make as many as your dog wants with this simple project.
1. Cut fabric into 2 circle shapes (or any other shape you wish) that are 8 inches each. You can even outline a simple animal shape if you really want to get fancy.
2. Sew the 2 pieces together (inside out). Be sure to leave a one to 2 inch opening.
3. Turn the fabric right side out and begin stuffing it with the polyfil. Once it is half-filled, add a squeaker or two. Then continue stuffing the fabric until you've reached a desired thickness.
4. Finally, finish sewing the pieces together completely and........ PRESTO! SQUEAKY TOY!
Squeaky Toy Variations:
Another variation for the squeaky toy is to sew a few fabric pieces to hang or dangle from the main body - so your Schnauzer can shake it. Miniature Schnauzers love that!
And if you have any 'hair scrunchies' lying around , you can use them too. They work really well by giving a homemade toy a 'bungee' effect.
Just cut the scrunchy in half. Sew one end to the main body and sew up or tie off at the other end.
Toss Ball Tug Rope
1. Drill or cut out a hole from one side of the ball to the other.
2. Thread your rope through both holes.
3. Tie knots at both openings to hold the ball in place and also tie each of the rope ends so it doesn't fray.
*dog craft tip: A good rope to use when making dog toys is a kid's jump rope and you can buy them really cheap at the dollar store!
And there you have it. 5 simple homemade dog toys that are fun to make and fun for your Schnauzer to play with.
If you have a dog craft project or idea you'd like to share with us? We'd love to here it! Just fill out the Dog Crafts & Pet Projects form.
Special Tip: As with all of your Miniature Schnauzer's toys (rather store bought or homemade) be sure to supervise your dog during play time and occasionally check dog toys for any signs of damage. If you ever notice signs of excessive wear, deterioration, or damage of a toy, be sure to discard it to prevent choking. Read our Dog Toy Buying Tips.
Go from Dog Toys to About the Miniature Schnauzer on Schnauzers Rule
Schnauzers Rule on Zazzle
Schnauzers Rule Zazzle Shop
Be sure to visit our Zazzle store. We have lots gifts for Miniature Schnauzer Lovers including T Shirts, Stickers, Home Decor items and more. Got Schnauzer?
•Homemade Recipes •Dog Scrapbook •Homemade Dog Toys •Homemade Dog Beds •DOG Quotes •Dog Jokes •Funny Schnauzer Videos •Schnauzer Trivia Quiz •Dog Horoscopes •Dog Dictionary •Online Dog Games •Free DOG eCards •April Fools Dog Joke •K-9 Tax Return
Submit & Share Your Dog Projects:
•Your Dog Crafts
•Your Dog Recipes
Special Promotional Offers