Homemade Schnauzer DOG TOYS
Get the kids involved in these easy-to-make homemade dog toys
for your Miniature Schnauzer! They make great craft projects to do on those rainy days when they can't go outside and play.
dog craft tip: As with all of your Miniature Schnauzer's toys (store bought or homemade) be sure to supervise during play time and occasionally check them for any signs of damage.
Always discard any of your Miniature Schnauzer's play toys that begin to deteriorate or show signs of damage in any way to prevent choking. Read our Dog Toy Buying Tips.
Dog Toys to Make at Home
- Old Tube Sock
- Empty Plastic Water Bottle ~ 16 oz size
- Cut the toe end off the tube sock
- Remove all the excess air from the empty water bottle (ie squash it)
- Insert the flattened plastic bottle into the sock
- Tie knots to close at each end
You just made a super fun dog toy your schnauzer will love - for FREE!
- Fabric scraps (or old t-shirts, pair of jeans, etc.)
- 6 Rubber bands
- Cut or rip fabric into three strips: 6 inches wide and 20 inches long.
- Tightly twist each individual strip and secure it on either end with a rubber band.
- Then tightly braid the pieces together
- Next tie knots on either end. Make sure the knots are very tight so it doesn't come undone.
- Now remove the rubber bands and you’re done.
dog craft tip: If you want to fringe the ends simply cut into strips.
Your Miniature Schnauzer's gonna love playing tug with this dog toy!
Before you throw that old garden hose away... cut about 6 inches of it and thread an old t-shirt through it (about 10 inches wide).
dog toy craft tip: You can use a rope, or any other material you like.
Next, tie knots at the hose openings and at the ends of the fabric.
And that's it! Another freebie!
Schnauzers love squeaky toys and you can make them yourself!
- Buy a bag of replacement squeakers (most pet & craft stores carry them)
- Fabric of your choice
Cut fabric into 2 circle shapes - 8 inches each.
dog craft tip: You can cut squares or any other shape you wish.
Sew the 2 pieces together (inside out), leaving a one to 2 inch opening.
Turn the fabric right side out and begin stuffing it with the polyfil. Once it is half-filled, add a squeaker. Then continue stuffing until the desired thickness.
Finish sewing the pieces together completely and........
Presto! A Squeaky Dog Toy!
Another variation for the squeaky toy is to sew a few fabric pieces to hang or dangle from the main body - so your schnauzer can shake it. Miniature Schnauzers love that!
And if you have any 'hair scrunchies' lying around , you can use them too. They work really well by giving a homemade toy a 'bungee' effect.
Just cut the scrunchy in half. Sew one end to the main body and sew up or tie off at the other end.
Toss Ball-Tug Rope
- 1 hollow ball (like a tennis ball)
- 10 inches of rope*
Drill or cut out a hole - from one side of the ball to the other.
Thread your rope through both holes.
Tie knots at both openings to hold the ball in place - and at the ends of rope - so it doesn't fray.
* dog craft tip: A good rope to use when making dog toys is a kid's jump rope - and you can by them really cheap at the dollar store!
WOW! You're getting really good at this!
Got a craft project or idea you'd like to share with us? We'd love to here it! Just fill out the Dog Crafts & Pet Projects form.
DOGGY FUN TIMES:
Go from Dog Toys to About the Miniature Schnauzer on Schnauzers Rule