Bad Foods For Dogs
Some of the bad foods for dogs which could even be fatal to your Miniature Schnauzer, are actually the everyday foods that are perfectly edible to us.
It's therefore extremely important to take note of these
potentially toxic foods and make sure you never feed any of them to
your Miniature Schnauzer. These are regular household foods that can
hurt or kill your dog!
Feel free to print this list of bad foods for dogs to
remind yourself to never feed them to your Miniature Schnauzer.
Perhaps post the list on your refrigerator. And be sure to check out the
potentially harmful commercial dog food list, too.
Take our DOG FOOD QUIZ to test your knowledge on which of the people foods are safe or harmful to dogs.
Bad Foods For Dogs
- Chocolate affects both the heart and nervous system and can cause seizures, coma, and death! note: the darker chocolate the more dangerous.
- Onions contain disulfides which can damage red blood cells in dogs causing anemia.
- Garlic although less toxic than onions can have the same effect causing anemia in dogs by damaging the red blood cells.
- Chives are also part of the onion family and damage blood cells.
- Macadamia Nuts cause weakness, muscle tremors, and vomiting in dogs.
- Walnuts which become moldy after a rain become infected
with fungus and mold that produces toxins. If ingested, your Schnauzer
can become extremely ill and possibly die. Signs of walnut poisoning are
vomiting, trembling, drooling, lack of coordination, lethargy, loss of
appetite, and jaundice indications such as yellowing eyes and gums.
- Fatty Foods - All fatty foods should be avoided especially for Schnauzers who are prone to life-threatening pancreatitis.
- Bones - It's best to not give your dog bones of any
kind. They can splinter or get lodged in the intestinal tract or can
cause choking. In any case, it's not worth an emergency room visit. Just
say no to bones.
- Moldy foods or Spoiled foods - Dog can die from eating moldy or spoiled foods which cause vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, seizures, and death.
- Apple Cores are not safe for dogs. Carefully cut and
peeled apples are okay for dogs to eat but never let your dog eat the stems, the core
or the seeds of an apple.
- Peach and Plum Pits - the pits of fruits contain cyanide
which is deadly to dogs. Other pitted fruits to stay away from are
apricots, cherries, etc...
- Potato Peels or Green Potatoes can affect the digestive, nervous, and urinary systems.
- Mushrooms can contain toxins which can lead to death.
- Yeast Dough causes gas and digestive problems. It can also expand rupturing the intestines or stomach.
- Alcoholic beverages of any kind can cause vomiting, decreased coordination, intoxication, tremors, coma, and even death.
- Coffee - Tea - Caffeine should never be given to a dog as it affects the heart and nervous systems and can cause seizures and death.
- Green parts of Tomatoes (leaves, stems) can affect the digestive, nervous, and urinary systems.
- Rhubarb plant can affect the digestive system as well as the urinary and nervous systems.
- Raisins and Grapes can cause kidney damage or failure in dogs.
- Xylitol - a sugar substitute or sweetener used in many
human foods can cause liver failure & death in dogs. Dogs become
weak. lose coordination, and collapse. Without immediate and proper
veterinarian treatment, the dog will die.
- Citrus Fruits including oranges, limes, lemons, grapefruit, etc... can cause vomiting upsetting the digestive system.
- Nutmeg can cause tremors, seizures and death
- Lunch meats or cold cuts contain way too much salt and
nitrates which can lead to digestive and kidney problems. Store bought
cold cuts are bad foods for dogs.
- Hops which are used to make beer as well as other foods,
are very toxic to dogs causing heavy panting, increased heart rate,
fever, seizures and death.
- Baby Food although sometimes used in homemade dog treat
recipes, it is not to be fed as a substitute or replacement for your
dog's food. It's baby food and provides the nutrients for a developing
infant. If you do use baby food in dog treat recipes, always read the
ingredients first to be sure none of the harmful foods listed
above are included (like onions or even onion powder).
KNOWLEDGE SHARE ... If you found this information on Dangerous Foods to Dogs helpful please share it with your
dog-loving friends by clicking on one of the share links at the top
right or bottom of this page. It could save a dog's life!
It's also very important to read food labels before assuming something
is okay to give to your Miniature Schnauzer. Many of the bad foods for dogs may be part of the ingredients list of another food that otherwise would be okay to feed your Miniature Schnauzer.
An example would be a sugar free yogurt that uses the sugar
substitute, xylitol. Xylitol is a sweetener that could kill your
Schnauzer if ingested!
Every year thousands of dogs end up at the emergency clinic after
ingesting what would be for them a poisonous food or toxic plant
which causes them to become fatally ill.
If your Miniature Schnauzer does ingest any of these potentially bad foods, contact your Vet or animal emergency clinic right away.
Also, check out our dog safety holiday tips as well as the other foods you should avoid feeding your Schnauzer.
Bad foods for dogs are sometimes disguised as their regular commercial
dog food that is supposed to be good for them, but is it?
Plus, familiarize yourself with the common yet poisonous household plants to dogs that could pose a threat, if ingested by your Miniature Schnauzer.
How to Induce Vomiting
dog health tip: If you must induce vomiting because your Miniature Schnauzer has ingested a poisonous plant or one of the bad foods, here's how: mix 2 teaspoons of water and 2 teaspoons of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide. This will usually cause your dog to vomit.
AND most importantly - call your Vet or animal emergency clinic!
IMPORTANT: If your Miniature Schnauzer has ingested a caustic substance, DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. I repeat, DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. Caustic substances can do fatal damage to your Schnauzer's main body functions within minutes. Call emergency vet clinic ASAP!
Caustic substance are things like drain cleaner, battery acid, fertilizer, glue, household cleaners, laundry detergent, turpentine, nail polish, nail polish remover, etc.....
Get Your Mini Schnauzer to the Vet ASAP!
Miniature Schnauzer Dog Food Series:
• Miniature Schnauzer Dog Nutrition Overview
• Best Food for Miniature Schnauzers
• Mini Schnauzer Dog Food Nutrient Needs
• Homemade Foods for Schnauzers
• Feeding Miniature Schnauzers a Raw Diet
• Miniature Schnauzer Dog Recipes
• Other Foods Bad for Miniature Schnauzers
• Take the Dog Food Quiz
FURTHER DOG FOOD INFO:
• 245 Healthy Recipes for Your Dog
• FDA Pet Food Recall
Go from Bad Foods to About the Miniature Schnauzer on Schnauzers Rule
Go from Bad Foods to Bad Commercial Dog Food