Reputable Miniature Schnauzer Breeders: Buying your new Miniature Schnauzer puppy from a breeder may cost you a bit more money, but if you truly want a purebred Miniature Schnauzer, it's probably your best choice.
But please don't go to just any person advertising Miniature Schnauzers for sale. Do some homework first. Use the steps outlined below to help you choose a quality puppy and know the difference between buying from a reputable breeder vs. a backyard breeder.
A backyard breeder is often (but not always) in it for the money.
They are usually just someone who decides to breed their family dog
because they think she's cute and hey, if they can make a few bucks off a
litter of pups, why not?
Backyard breeders are usually not trying to improve upon the breed or produce show-quality Schnauzers. With that being said however, you may still find a loving, well-socialized Miniature Schnauzer of pet-quality from a good backyard breeder, that is raised in a loving home. Just be sure you truly know your wants and expectations prior to purchasing your purebred Mini Schnauzer puppy.
By buying a puppy from a responsible and reputable Miniature Schnauzer breeder on the other hand, you can rest assure that your new purebred puppy will meet breed standards; has received proper health care; is well-socialized and has complete records. You will know of its lineage including the medical background of the puppy's parents.
• Step 1: ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS: Start by making a list of questions, like the ones outlined below and interview the Miniature Schnauzer breeders. If they truly care about what they are doing and are breeding Miniature Schnauzers responsibly, they will be happy to answer all your questions. Also, be prepared to answer some questions about yourself and your lifestyle as well. Responsible breeders care about each dog they bring into the world and do their best to ensure they sell their dogs to responsible dog owners, too.
"All puppies are cute - but not all Miniature Schnauzer breeders are Responsible"
• Step 2: TELEPHONE INTERVIEW: Before going to look at the Mini Schnauzer puppies, call and ask the seller some questions over the phone first. This will help you determine if you should even consider buying one of their puppies.
The responsible Miniature Schnauzer breeder will be able to answer all these questions with ease and is happy to do so.
Be sure to do this first because it's way too hard to remember all the
right questions to ask in person, especially when you are in the mix of
enjoying little Schnauzer puppies licking your face and jumping all over
you. Plus it's super hard to say "No thank you", and leave without a
precious puppy in your arms to take home, even if you don't like certain
answers or the environment.
• Step 3: KNOW THE BREED: Since you will be buying a purebred Miniature Schnauzer, familiarize yourself with the AKC Miniature Schnauzer Breed Standard. You can get all the facts and information right here on Schnauzers Rule!
• Step 4: EVALUATE THE PUPPIES AND ASK MORE QUESTIONS: Once you arrive at the breeders take a quick look around the environment. Is it neat and clean? Where are the puppies being kept? Do the puppies look healthy and well-cared for? Ask the breeder even more questions upon your arrival:
Now it's time to observe the Schnauzer puppies and see how they interact and play with each other for a bit. After a few minutes, sit on floor and call them over to you.
When you're ready select a puppy to look at a little close. But it's best to not choose a puppy that appears shy or
timid or one that seems frightened in any way. On the hand, you also don't want to choose the
puppy that is dominating or pushing his litter mates around.
Pick up a puppy your interested in and check their paws, eyes, teeth, gums, ears, and nose. You are looking for bright eyes, pink gums, and no discharge or foul odors. You are also testing to see just how well the puppy reacts to be handled.
Now put the puppy back down on the floor and snap your fingers or clap your hands. This is a simple hearing test just to be sure the puppy reacts well to sounds.
• Step 5: BREEDER'S CONTRACT: Once you have decided on a Miniature Schnauzer puppy to purchase...
MAKE SURE TO THOROUGHLY READ AND UNDERSTAND THE BREEDER'S CONTRACT
BEFORE SIGNING IT & GIVING A DEPOSIT
The breeder's contract should outline their health
guarantee and their return and refund policy, as well as other important
information including the AKC registration application for your new
purebred Miniature Schnauzer puppy.
• Step 6: TAKE-HOME INFO: Before leaving with your new Miniature Schnauzer puppy, you should receive a packet of information from the breeder including the following items:
Responsible Miniature Schnauzer breeders always make sure
that their puppies are weaned, vaccinated, and have had time to
socialize, before letting them go to a new family.
If you are ready to begin a search for a new Miniature Schnauzer puppy, here are a few websites to get you started: And don't forget to check out your local Miniature Schnauzer rescue groups. (We'll discuss them next!)
Please note: None of the websites listed above are endorsing the sellers.
Bottom Line: It is YOUR responsibility to evaluate each seller and determine if YOU think they are responsible.
When speaking with breeders, just remember: the responsible breeder cares about the Miniature Schnauzer puppies they are selling and will want to make sure that your home will be a good fit for one of their puppies. So be prepared to answer questions about your home and lifestyle, too.
Next, let's explore Schnauzer Rescue Groups
"Knowledge Share"... If you found this article on How to Choose a Reputable Dog Breeder helpful and informative, please share it with your dog-loving friends by clicking on one of the share links at the top right or bottom of this page.
Go from Miniature Schnauzer Breeders to About the Miniature Schnauzer on Schnauzers Rule
★ Miniature Schnauzers for Sale
★ Schnauzer Rescue Groups by State
★ Schnauzers in Shelters
★ Pet Store Puppies
★ Watch a Miniature Schnauzer Birth
Search for all kinds of products on Amazon.com: