Memorial Day Pet Tips
The ASPCA has provided the following Memorial Day Pet Tips
as a reminder of ways to keep our Miniature Schnauzers safe during all
the holiday fun. So whatever activities you may have planned remember,
safety first! Have a fun & safe weekend!
Memorial Day Pet Tips
- Keep alcoholic beverages out of paws reach. Alcohol is potentially poisonous to pets, so make sure your pet does not accidentally consume any wine, beer or spirits.
- Stay on regular diet & resist those pleading eyes.
Although it may be tempting to throw your dogs licking chops some picnic
fare, we advise that you resist the urge. Just say "No" to those
angelic, begging eyes! Any change in your dog's diet can result in an
upset stomach. Certain foods like onions, avocado, chocolate, grapes and
raisins are especially toxic to pets. * See our list of toxic foods to dogs.
- Sunscreen: Be sure to only apply dog specific bug repellents and sunscreen for pets
onto your Schnauzer. Never use human insect repellent or sunscreen on
your dog. Ingestion can result in drooling, vomiting, diarrhea,
excessive thirst and lethargy.
- Keep your dog away from flames and fire products: Fido
should stay clear of matches, candles & lighter fluid. Keep your pet
away from matches, citronella candles and lighter fluid, which if eaten
can irritate the stomach, the lungs and central nervous system. Before
you light that hot grill make sure your four legged family member is out
of harms way.
- Supervise pool time. Never leave kids or pets unsupervised
around a pool or lake. Like humans not all dogs are expert swimmers.
Also, pools aren't large water bowls, they contain chlorine and other
toxic chemicals that can cause stomach upset.
- Carry ID. If traveling with your pet, take identification for
them and their health records. Make sure they are wearing their collar
& tags at all times, in the event that become lost. Consider microchipping your pet.
- Never leave pet in hot car... at ANY time! Your pet is just
as susceptible to dying of a heatstroke when the mercury rises. It only
takes a few minutes for the inside of your car to get excessively hot
and turn into a sauna. Learn more about heat strokes in dogs.
- Provide plenty of water. Always make sure your pet has plenty of fresh water no matter where you are.
- Be prepared rain or shine. Make sure your pet has a comfortable place to get out of the sun, rain, or other types of weather.
- Provide pet with a safe & quiet place to rest. Not only
is it important to make sure your guest are relaxed and comfortable, you
should also do so for your pet. Remember Memorial day can be quite
stressful & noisy on your pet so it is important to provide with a
place of refuge to rest their head and get away from the crowd. Because
no loving pet owner wants a startled dog or cat running away, bolting
for the doggy door or jumping the fence.
- Keep gates and fences closed and save yourself some heartbreak.
Memorial Day is a high traffic holiday with so many people heading out
for a cookout. When the kids are playing in the yard, please remind them
to keep the gate closed at all times if the dog has access to a
fenced-in area. This will ensure that your pet does not run into
oncoming traffic or a busy street and get struck.
As always, if you suspect your pet has ingested something
poisonous from the picnic table or elsewhere, please contact your
veterinarian or the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) at (888) 426-4435.
Thanks to the ASPCA for these great Memorial Day Pet Tips to help us keep our Miniature Schnauzers safe this weekend.
Helpful Products to Keep your Dog Safe this Memorial Day
Use a safe and effective alternative to the toxic chemical squeeze-on products to keep those nasty insects at bay. Use a natural insect repellent that's safe for dogs and cats - and their people! A great alternative to toxic chemical squeeze on products to keep those nasty insects at bay.
Look for herbal natural products that contains no DEET, organophosphates, or other dangerous pesticides.
Use a dog sunscreen or sunblock safe for pets. Plenty of all natural formulas on the market for pets with SPF 30+
• UVA & UVB Physical Block • Uncoated Nano Zinc-Oxide • Non-Toxic • Will Not Clog Pores • All Natural & Chemical Free
Designed completely around the safety, security and comfort of your dog
and sets up easily with the fold and carry configuration that requires
no use of tools.
If you go to a park or backyard barbecue at a friend's house this Memorial Day, be sure to take your dog crate with you.
"Knowledge Share"... If you found this page on Memorial Day Pet Tips helpful and informative, please share it with your dog-loving friends by clicking on one of the share links (like facebook, twitter, and google +1) located at the top right or bottom of this
Go from Memorial Day Pet Tips to About the Miniature Schnauzer on Schnauzers Rule
Go from Memorial Day Pet Tips to Summer Safety Tips for Dogs
★ Dog Holidays
★ Dog Articles
★ Dog Safety Holiday
★ Heimlich Maneuver for Dogs