Oatmeal - Peanut Butter - Molasses Dog Cookies
by Joyce Harrison
(Lafayette, LA, USA)
Oatmeal - Peanut Butter - Molasses Cookies
Prep Time: 15 Min Cook Time: 10-12 Min
• 1 1/4 cups oatmeal
• 1 cup rye flour
• 1/8 cup rye flour (for coating the bottom of the glass to flatten cookies)
• 1/4 cup all purpose flour
• 1/2 cup peanut butter (creamy, no salt or sugar)
• 1/4 cup molasses (organic preferred, no sulphur)
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/4 cup chicken broth
• 1 egg, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Place all ingredients in large bowl. Mix well with wooden spatula or spoon.
3. Roll into balls 1/2” to 3/4” and place on cookie sheet. (I placed a sheet of parchment paper onto the cookie sheet.)
4. Using a glass with a flat bottom, dip into rye flour, then place on cookie ball and give it a twist as you press down to flatten the cookie ball. (The twisting motion usually causes the glass to separate from the cookie, rather than stick.)
5. Bake for 10 minutes, or until you begin to see a “slight” light brown around the edges. (The cookies will be firm.)
6. When all cookies have been baked, turn off the oven, and place the cookies (still on the pans) back into the oven, and allow them to remain for 1 to 2 hours. This allows them to become a little firmer, without over-cooking.
7. Keep a few in a cookie jar, (no more than 2 days) replenishing as necessary, and freeze the rest in an airtight container to prevent spoiling. They will keep up to 2 months in the freezer ….. but at my house, they’re gone ….. long before that!!!!!
8. My 3 Mini Schnauzer’s just absolutely LOVE them ….. and they’re healthy for them, too!!!!!
9. These are “people” cookies, too!!!! Betcha can’t eat just one!!!!