Summer heat and humidity can take a toll on our dogs, just as it does with people. Dogs can suffer from overheating, heat strokes, dehydration, and yes, even sunburns. And Schnauzers don't do well in the heat. So it is critical to keep your Schnauzer cool and hydrated during the dog days of summer.
By following a few simple summer care & safety tips for dogs, you can help ensure that your Schnauzer enjoys the good old summertime.
1. Provide Plenty of Fresh Water: Did you know that dogs are more susceptible to overheating than we are? It's true. Dogs cool themselves through panting. Their sweat glands are located on their foot pads. So, panting and drinking water for proper hydration are the only ways your Miniature Schnauzer has to cool down.
Always have fresh cool water available for your dog to drink. Whether on a walk or an outing, in the backyard, or in the car having water readily available is a breeze with these great products: no-tip bowls, travel bowls, hand held water dispensers.
2. Protect Dog from Sun: Did you know that your Miniature Schnauzer can also get sunburned? Dogs are susceptible to sunburn just like us, Their most vulnerable areas are where their fur is thinner (like on their noses and ear tips). Plus if you have a white Schnauzer or just shaved your dog, then he'll be even more prone to getting sunburn. Besides the pain a sunburn causes, your dog's skin can peel and blister, and worse yet, excessive sun exposure may lead to cancer.
Make sure there is sufficient shade in your backyard or provide your Miniature Schnauzer with adequate shade by providing an awning or dog house.
And while you shouldn't use your sunscreen on your dog, pet stores do sell sunscreen made especially for dogs.
3. Choose Best Times to Be Outside: Since most of us spend a lot more time outside during the summer months, so will our Schnauzers. But too much exercise or play time outdoors when the temps are high, can lead to a heatstroke.
The best time to exercise your dog in the summer is during the early
morning hours or later in the evening when temperatures are at their lowest.
Before heading out check your local dog walking forecast.
Heat strokes in dogs is a medical emergency. Without the proper treatment your Miniature Schnauzer can suffer brain damage, heart failure and even death! Learn to recognize the warning signs.
If your Miniature Schnauzer exhibits any of these warning signs, try lowering your dog's temperature immediately. Get your Schnauzer out of the sun. Get to a cool shaded area or inside a building with air conditioning and apply cool soaked towels to your dog's neck and belly. Place cold packs wrapped in towels between the dog's back legs and armpits.
You can also use alcohol wipes on the groin and belly areas can enhance cooling. Give your Miniature Schnauzer small amounts of cool water to drink, and then take your Schnauzer to the vet immediately.
note: Do not use very cold water or ice!
Very cold water or ice will cause your Schnauzer's blood vessels to
constrict which will impede his body from being able to release heat.
Use cool water only.
4. Never Leave Your Schnauzer Alone in the Car. Our Miniature Schnauzers are part of our families and we love being with them. So it's only natural that we want to take them every where we go from running daily errands to family vacations. But during the summer, your car's temperature can quickly rise to deadly levels.
It is imperative that you NEVER leave your Miniature Schnauzer in a parked car alone. It is better to leave your dog at home than to have him trapped and left unattended in a car. And even if temperatures are mild, a precious Mini Schnauzer left alone could be stolen, as dog theft is on the rise.
5. Don't Walk Your Dog During Peak Hours. "Do you want to go for a walk?" I think those are a dog's favorite words. But in the summer months ahead it's best to limit your dog walks during the morning hours or early evening hours. If however you have to walk during peak hours, make your walks shorter than usual, be sure to take along your hand held water dispensers, and don't let your dog walk on hot asphalt or pavement that can cause his paw pads to burn. Walk your dog on grassy areas and/or have your Miniature Schnauzer wear year round dog booties to protect his pads from burning.
6. Wear a Life Vest In and Around Water: Believe it or not, accidental drownings claim the lives of many dogs each year. If you have a backyard pool, make sure your Miniature Schnauzer knows how to get in and out of it by teaching him where the ramp and steps are. Schnauzers are not typically known to be "good swimmers", so heed this summer care tip: have your Miniature Schnauzer wear a life jacket or life vest for dogs.
Don't allow your Miniature Schnauzer to go swimming in the pool or in the ocean alone. Always supervise your Miniature Schnauzer's activities in and around water including the pool or at the beach.
Taking these precautionary measures for dog summer care will decrease the chances of your Miniature Schnauzer succumbing to the dangers posed by summer's heat.
Read more summer care tips for dogs and how to keep cool if your air conditioning stops working.
There are lots of products to keep dogs cool from cooling vests, harnesses, and mats to doggy pools
|A cooling mat can help regulate your dog's body temperature. Your Schnauzer can have the coolest and softest spot in the house year this summer. Dogs love the cushy, cool, and dry sensation of the cooling mat.|
|The Cool It Bandana is made with non-toxic polymer crystals which absorb up to 30 times their weight and stay cool for several hours. These stylish bandanas are edged with reflective tape for higher visibility.|
|A dog pool will provide the ultimate relief from the summer heat. Or you can use a kiddie pool. Just keep about 5 inches of water in the pool and put it in a shaded area of your backyard. Your Mini Schnauzer will love to sit in the water to cool off.|
|A cooling jacket or vest works to keep dogs cool in the heat by exchanging the dog's heat with the coolness of stored water. It's light color also reflects sunlight & ultraviolet rays for more sun protection.|
You find all these summer care products to cool your Miniature Schnauzer at Amazon. Just type in a product search in the box below. ex. dog cooling mat
Search for all kinds of products on Amazon.com:
SEASONAL SAFETY INFO FOR DOGS